Script for automatic installation .EXE package

Mar 14, 2011 at 1:12 PM

Hi folks! I´m trying to find solution for automatic installation and RemoteInstall framework seems to be good one for me.
But I cannot find if is it suitable for .EXE installation. I mean Is it possible to use it for creating some script which can automatically click on butttons, checkbox,etc. and finished installation without
manually entry?

Coordinator
Mar 15, 2011 at 11:07 AM

It really depends on your installer. Generally, every decent installer that I have seen has a command-line mode without any quesitons asked, so that's what you should do. If you want to test the UI workflow in the installer, it's a totally different game - get an automation tool that does that (I don't know any really good ones, imho they all don't have the right ratio of time wasted / benefits).

Mar 15, 2011 at 11:12 AM

Thanks for your quick reply. Yes, I need also test UI workflow in the installer. I think that I find solutions.....to combine RemoteInstall with some other stuff.

Thanks a lot for information!

Developer
Mar 25, 2011 at 9:17 PM

For setup installer ui testing, I use white http://white.codeplex.com and it works well besides some little quirks.

Mar 28, 2011 at 6:02 AM

Its seems to be the best solutions for me! Thanks a lot for it, icnocop :-)